Position Title: Quality Engineer
Department: Quality Manager
Reports to: Quality
Under the direct supervision of the Quality Manager, the Quality Engineer develops, implements, maintains, and evaluates quality assurance systems, procedures, and processes to ensure all products and materials meet company and customer standards, specifications, and quality expectations. The Quality Engineer has the authority to reject and prevent discrepant parts from being moved to the next manufacturing operation and to place products on hold for management to review before being shipped to the customer.
A solid working knowledge of inspection principles, including the understanding and implementation of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) and model-based engineering into inspection plans. In addition, an understanding of the creation of aerospace AS9102 documentation and reporting requirements is required. The ability to develop and program coordinate measurement machine (CMM) inspection protocols is preferred. The experience and knowledge in working with ISO 9001 and AS9100 systems as well as other quality management systems are key for this position. The Quality Engineer will perform other tasks assigned by the Quality Manager.
Essential Position Functions and Responsibilities
This position includes (but is not limited to) the following essential functions:
- Design, install, and evaluate quality assurance process sampling systems, procedures, and statistical techniques.
- Support first-article, in-process, and final inspections of subcomponents and assemblies and develops product inspection plans.
- Utilize calipers, micrometers, height gages, coordinate measuring machine, thickness gages, and other inspection devices for inspections.
- Develop and program a CMM inspection plan for use by the quality inspection department.
- Perform necessary calculations to determine angles, tolerances, dimensions, and measurements.
- Document results of inspections
- Establish files and computer databases to retain inspection acceptance/rejection reports and data.
- Communicate to management and production personnel any dimensional, process, or quality discrepancies discovered during the inspection process.
- Detect and analyze faulty processes and provides input for their resolution.
- Coordinate with production supervision, manufacturing engineering, and Quality Manager to obtain resolutions to product and process discrepancies; initiate effective corrective actions, as required, to improve problem areas.
- Prepare parts for customer source inspectors by coordinating the assembly of required documentation, which may include inspection reports, drawings, bills of materials, process specifications, purchase orders, material certifications, and shipping paperwork; assist source inspector as required.
- Maintain all aspects of ISO 9001:2000 and AS9100:2001 quality system registration by ensuring that company follows all requirements of the standards.
- Coordinate and serve as company quality representative during audits by ISO registrar (Underwriters Laboratories) and customers’ representatives.
- Determine calibration intervals and maintenance requirements, schedule calibrations, and perform calibrations for all company- and employee-owned inspection, measurement, and test equipment; record and maintain results in the calibration software database.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Ability to perform each essential duty satisfactorily
- Ability to use standard precision inspections tools, such as coordinate measuring machine, micrometers, verniers, calipers, and gage blocks
- Ability to read and interpret blueprint drawings
- Solid working knowledge and understanding of GD&T and statistical process control.
- Ability to develop and implement CMM inspection processes and plans for use by the quality inspection department.
- Possess strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word computer software